Carbon black production process is based on incomplete combustion of oil and coke-chemical feedstock and is considered to be the product with the highest content of carbon. The only natural product, which has the similar structure is graphite. The only differences are distance between the graphene layers (0.350-0.365 nm in carbon black vs 0.335 nm in graphen ) horizontal shift of the layers.
The simplest carbon black particle has spherical form. It can be imagined like a cabbage, where its leaves can be considered as 3-5 level layers of graphene planes. Particle size can vary between 8 and 285 nanometers depending on the method and conditions of carbon black production. Single free state particles can exist for a half a second after formation, then all this particles are get connected and form aggregates.
Carbon black dispersity (diameter of primary particles) and structure (size and branching of aggregates) define its range of further application.
Carbon black is widely used in different industries:
- 70% are consumed by tire producers.
- 20% — mechanical rubber goods: laying and gasket, conveyor belts, transmission belts, vibration isolators and others formed and extruded products.
- 10% — other industries: paint and varnish, polymeric and defense industry, manufacturing of pipes and cables, adhesive and sealant, storage batteries.
Omsk Carbon Group produces widely spread grades. Its assortment includes 19 ASTM grades:
- Tread grades: N115, N121, N134, N220, N234, N299, N326, N330, N339, N347, N375
- Carcass grades: N539, N550, N650, N660
- Low-dispersed grades: N762, N772, N774, N787
And 17 specialty grades of OMCARB™ lines:
- High-purity line (MRG): S500, S500A, S700, S800, S810, S820
- Conductive line: C40, C140, CH85, CH200, CH210, CH600
- Specialty tire line: H80, H100
- Pigment line: P80, P110, P140
Depending on customer requirements the product may be shipped in bulk in special railway wagon - hopper (65% of all shipped production), or in the package: big bags (FIBC ~1t) (25 %), polyethylene small bags in bulk (2 %), and small bags on pallet (8 %).
Packaged carbon black loading norms depend on the type of transport:
|Transport → Packing||Car||container 20 FCL||container 40 FCL||Small r/w wagon||Large r/w wagon|
|Small bag||—||up to 14 mt||up to 26 mt||up to 40 mt||up to 40 mt|
|Big bag||up to 20 mt||13 items||24 items||26 items||30 items|
|Small bags on pallet||up to 20 mt||13 items||23 items||28-30 items||32-34 items|